After a little under two months of deliberation by the Sports Coordinators, 2015-2016 is now “on the web” for Girls High School Water Polo — highlighting players, high schools and cities in California and Hawai’i.
As some data (class years, name spelling, for instance) is incorrect, please email email@example.com to ensure accuracy. Also, CIF-SS Divisions are notorious for leaving out “Goalkeeper” annotations, so please let us know those corrections as well.
This year was truly a blessing for me to be able to attend more Sections and Divisions than ever before covering Fall, Winter, Spring seasons — so I had a great cross-sectional view of many players. That said, I strongly feel that the Top Ten, 160 players, and Honorable Mention, 240+ players, is one of our best classes of elite representation in California and Hawai’i — which especially solidifies and confirms this 10th Year of compiling the Kai~Sports Cal-HI girls high school water polo rankings.
New High Schools (those never represented with a player or more) were evident 2015-2016 as with the past few school years. For the record, 16 new to the rankings, with the following first-ever Athletes from their school to be named KAI~Cal HI All-American:
- American HS (CIF-NCS), Fremont CA, Senior Goalkeeper Lydia Dadd
- American Canyon HS (CIF-SJS), Napa CA, Allison Dugdole
- Bear Creek HS (SJS), Stockton CA, Jr Jenna Collins, League MVP
- Concord HS (NCS), Concord CA, Junior Karlee Kronquist
- Cupertino HS (CIF-CCS), Cupertino CA, Junior Anna Rajaratnam
- Enochs HS (SJS), Modesto CA, Averi Peterson, League MVP
- Florin HS (SJS), Sacramento CA, Amaya Palmer, League MVP
- Fremont HS (CCS), Oakland CA, Senior Carmen Steinmeier
- Golden Valley HS (SJS), Merced CA, Sr Marissa Wynn, League MVP
- Liberty HS (NCS), Brentwood CA, Senior Lindsey Heaney (there is also a Liberty HS in Bakersfield CA)
- Rancho Cucamonga HS (CIF-SS), Rancho Cucamonga, Senior Denise Mammolito
- Schurr HS (SS), Montebello CA, Senior April Alvarez and Junior Jassmine Kezman
- Sonora HS (SJS, City of Sonora, not to be confused with the SS school from La Habra SS), Juniors Josie Personius and Samantha Slater
- South Pasadena HS (SS), Pasadena CA, Freshman Sydney Shettleroe
- Westridge HS (SS), Pasadena CA, Juniors Georgia Bogle, Kira O’Donnell and Ava Whist
- Woodside HS (CCS), Woodside CA, Freshman Goalkeeper Maya Srinivasan
All of the above are from California, but that doesn’t mean that Hawai’i is not growing. My recent trip to Hawai’i showed me that there are more players than ever playing polo in the Islands. And, on those years I get to Hawai’i for the two championship weeks, I usually finish these lists a few weeks early…unfortunately, not this year, since my wife, Shelley, and I went to the remote coast of Oregon for two weeks, losing valuable internet connectivity.
But what we did gain in working with our friend, Laura Robinson, (see “Soles 4 Hope” blogsite), were many of God’s blessings in the small 1/24th portion that we could join her on her border-to-border mission. (Be sure to check her blog about her Canada-to-Mexico trip down US 101.) We sincerely hope that you all are blessed this year as much as we were and still are.